Fire Prevention

Every year fire departments respond to more than 300,000 home structure fires in the U.S. Most residential fires can be prevented by educating yourself and your family on the common causes of household fires and how to prevent them from occurring. The following tips will help keep you, your family and your home safe.

  • Do not overload electrical circuits with too many appliances or electronics. If your circuit breakers are tripping, call in a work order for maintenance to look at your system.
  • Do not run extension cords under rugs or carpets. The cords wear easily and may short out, causing a fire.
  • Nails or staples used to attach electrical cords to the walls or baseboards can damage the cords and cause fire or shock hazards. Tape cords to walls or floors instead of using nails or staples.
  • Replace frayed electrical cords before they burn or cause a fire.
  • Keep combustibles away from the furnace, which can emit flames or sparks. Mechanical rooms must be kept clear and may not be used as storage areas for any item.
  • Ceiling fixtures and recessed lights trap heat. Since overheating can lead to fire, don't use a high-wattage bulb in such a fixture. If you don't know the correct wattage, use a bulb of 60 or fewer watts.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the house and before going to bed.
  • Unplug your hair dryer or any other small appliance in the bathroom when not in use.
  • An electric blanket should not be tucked in at the sides. It may overheat and start a fire.
  • Be sure to turn a heating pad off before you go to sleep. It can cause burns even at a relatively low setting.
  • Do not remove or tamper with your smoke / CO alarm. If it is beeping or chirping, call in a work order to have it checked.
  • If a switch or outlet is damaged during use, stop using it immediately, and call in a work order to have it repaired.